Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Music of the Month

I love music. I grew up with it, and it's always been very important to me. I really and truly love every style of music, and am so happy that this is now the trendy thing to say.

"I like both types of music, Country and Western."

I try to support independant music as well. Since 2003 I've recorded all the music that I've purchased. My list is called Music/Month, and has the byline, "1 CD/month to support artists & industry." When I write freehand I use numbers, symbols, and abbreviations.

Here is what I've purchased in the last 4 years.

10/3 Breeders, "Title TK"
11/3 Kid Koala, "Some of my best friends are DJ's"
12/3 Yeah yeah yeah's
1/4 Black Heart Procession, "Amore Tropico"
2/4 Wig in a Box, "Songs inspired by hedwig" -- a fundraiser!
3/4 Black Heart Procession & Solbakken, "In the fishbowl
4/4 Blonde Redhead, "Misery is a butterfly"
5/4 !!!, "!!!"
6/4 Ween, "The Pod"
7/4 Citizen Fish
8/4 Dilinger Escape Plan, "Miss Machine"
9/4 Peaches, "Fatherfucker"
10/4 Kristin Hersh, "Sunny Border Blue"
11/4 Stereolab, "ABC Music"
12/4 Tortoise
1/5 Hippos
2/5 Boards of Canada, "Geogaddi"
3/5 50 ft. Wave
4/5 ... and You Will Know Us by the Trail of Dead, "Worlds Apart"
5/5 Morcheeba
6/5 Cat Power
7/5 The Muffs, "Hamburger"
8/5 Mary Timony, "Ex-Hex"
9/5 Gorillaz, "Demon Days"
10/5 American Analog Set, "Set Free"
11/5 Sonic Youth, "Experimental Jet Set, Trash, No Star"
12/5 Frank Black
1/6 Bratmobile, "Ladies, Women, and Girls"
2/6 Frank Black, "Honeycomb"
3/6 Ladytron, "Witching Hour"
4/6 Yeah Yeah Yeah's, "Show yer bones"
5/6 Ladytron
6/6 Beta Band, "From Heros to Zeros"
7/6 Peeping Tom
8/6 Vines + Errase Errata
9/6 Delgados "Hate"
10/6 Decemberists "Picturesque" + Tegan and Sarah
12/6 Mew + Midlake + Joanna Newsome + Metric
2/6 Sonic Youth + Jenny Lewis
3/6 Modest Mouse + Air + !!! + Frank Black
6/6 Stephen Malkmus and the Jicks + Trail of Dead

As you can see, sometimes I skip a month, and I've recently been trying to buy two per month instead. Some are amazing, some are dissappointing, but this is a fun thing.

I'm not sure if it would be better to download than to buy CD's though. Plastic is bad, and the fuel used in transport is bad. I wonder if the musicians get more money if I download and album from them. This is something I should find out.

No comments: