Tuesday, May 8, 2007

Exermacise

So it's easy to sit around and indulge. Sometimes I just indulge myself in daydreams, imagining what it would be like to just eat fast food and pizza every night, never exercise, not go to work, but just hang out with friends, sleep, and play. That'd be great. Of course, it wouldn't be as great as accomplishing the goals that I've set up for myself, love, travel, financial security, et cetera. The indulgence of slack would be great in that it would taste good and be so easy. Of course, when you gorge yourself on round table your blood leaves your head to go to your stomach, your mind slows down, you get a little release of endorphins, and you score a food drunk. Really, when I'm daydreaming about dropping out into slackdom, isn't my body just asking for drugs? Is this different than just wishing I could get drunk all the time, and buy cough syrup by the case?

It's more difficult to intentionally be cognizant about your own behaviors. I really enjoy playing basketball, tennis, and ping pong. Hackey Sack, soccer, frisbee I also enjoy. Yoga, weight lifting, jogging, these are work. I don't actually enjoy doing any of it. What I do enjoy, however, is the results. Those last three activities I do much more often that the previous six. Sure they release their own exercise endorphins, but they also keep me centered, keep my energy levels up, keep me healthy, and keep me strong. They are an important component of my life, and I wouldn't be able to cut it with out them.

No comments: